Friday 22 January 2016

There when you need us most

There when you need us most
This week I had a health scare. I had been experiencing some shortness of breath and chest pain. I was about to start a meeting when I felt dizzy and clammy. My mind started racing, I am a fit and active with few risk indicators for cardiac problems, although I confess that I like a beer and a glass of wine at the weekend. Dr Gary O’Hare took me to the A&E at Whiston, although I was reluctant to go he and Dr Cliff Richards insisted that I should get checked out and that it was an A&E issue. In the next few hours I received absolutely fabulous treatment. Three ECGs, two blood tests and a chest x-ray later and I was discharged, with some follow up to come but assured that I was fit and healthy and it was unlikely that I had a heart problem.

So, for me, the NHS was there when I needed it most. It was also there for the people I spoke to throughout the day – the woman with a UTI, the elderly man who had fallen, the woman who wanted to end her life as she felt she could not go on – I enjoyed the quality of the conversations. I saw care, compassion and professionalism everywhere – staff who are deeply and passionately committed to caring for people.  In a strange way I enjoyed the experience, it was interesting to see it from a different perspective.

Congratulations to St Helens and Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
Well done to all those who work at St Helens and Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust. The Care Quality Commission has just rated St Helens Hospital has been rated as an outstanding hospital and Whiston Hospital rated as good with outstanding features. This places them amongst the best hospitals in the NHS.  


Simon Banks
Chief Officer